Reach for the stars! Resolutions! Top ten list of achievements!
Yes folks, it’s that time of year when you need to dust off the cobwebs surrounding your lazy festive brain and decide what this coming year will bring.
Who know’s really but it seems we are all keen to spread the word about the ‘This is what I’m going to do this year’ and I thought I would jump on the bandwagon. Not because I think I am going to achieve half of what I’m thinking I should but it might be nice to look back in 364 days and see if I actually achieved any of it.
So, here goes. Here are my top ten ‘things to do in 2014’ that I may or may not accomplish:
1. Move house – OK I know this is actually happening in a few months but it’s going to completely change our lives so it needs to be included.
2. WIP – I have four picture books and two novels that REALLY need to be on at least draft 3 by Easter if not before.
3. Meet more like-minded people who need to get away from their writing cave every once in a while. Fresh air really works!
4. Procrastination – it’s not big and it’s not clever so I need to stop doing it.
5. Run – like the wind or to be more precise get back into my morning jogs – it’s only half an hour of my life so what’s stopping me?
6. Swim – I haven’t swam for about 15 years and it’s so good for you. Might have to have a wee MOT though before baring flesh that hasn’t seen day light for a while. Not a good look when people start scrambling out the pool as you get in.
7. Read – as a writer this should go without saying but I need it tattooed on my hand so it’s the first thing I see in the morning. I have over 30 books I have purchased in the last three months that are sitting staring at me. I think one or two a week should see that pile diminishing.
8. Twitter/Facebook – media outlets for me to the while away the hours – I blame them for my lack of No 7 and my lack of getting on with No 2. I could also rename this as more willpower I suppose.
9. Classics – I need to read more classics. I want to aim for Catch 22, War & Peace, The Merchant of Venice and then some. I have created a long list for me on this one.
10. Research – three of my WIP’s have had to be changed recently as their names are too similar to books already out there. It’s another thing to add to my check list when starting my MS but it’s well worth doing. I don’t want to be hauled through the literary coals for plagiarism.
Happy New Year – may your lums reek with the fuel o ithers coal. Live long and prosper. What’s for you won’t pass you etc etc